Thursday, January 31, 2013

Leadership Lessons: Holy Discontent

Today I have a holy discontent about the poverty and homelessness in Peterborough, ON. What I mean by that is I can't shove it under the rug, its in my face. The reason for this is I spent a night hanging out with homeless people through the Out of the Cold program. I heard their stories and I know their names. This isn't about pity, it's about the reality of the situation. There were at least seven people there who had no where else to go that night. This group doesn't know where they are sleeping on Friday night and this is bothering me.

I am involved in the Peterborough Poverty Reduction Network on the board of directors and I am the chair of the Vision group for the Mount. But what does that mean if I am not affecting the lives of these seven people who don't have a home? I never want to get so important or influential that I miss the point of what is really happening at the street level.

I don't know what to do about it other than jump in. It's going to get messy and I may cry but tears are the recipe for a soft heart. I don't have any solutions but I do have two ears to listen. I am going to go have dinner with them tonight. I know that means the discontent in me will grow but I am willing to become uncomfortable about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment